In this Data Protection Policy, we inform you about the processing of your personal data in connection with your participation in the Miles & More customer loyalty programme (“Miles & More”).
The “Miles & More website, & communications media app” Data Protection Policy also applies for visitors to our website, as well for the use of our app or other marketing materials.
- 1. Responsibility for Data Protection
- 2nd Your personal data
- 2.1 Master data and status data
- 2.2 Miles & More card number
- 2.3 Programme data
- 2.4 Other data
- 3. Purposes and legal bases of processing
- 3.1 Contract purpose and pre-contractual measures
- 3.2 Legitimate interests - balancing of interests
- 3.3 Consent
- 3.4 Statutory obligations
- 4. Recipients of your data
- 4.1 Joint operators
- 4.2 Miles & More partner companies
- 4.3 Lufthansa Group Airlines
- 4.4 Other third parties and commissioned processors
- 5. Consent
- 5.1 Consent to MMG and Lufthansa
- 5.2 Consent to joint operators
- 5.3 Granting and use of consent
- 5.4 Withdrawal of consent and consent not granted
- 6. Linking with Lufthansa Group ID profiles
- 7. Miles & More credit card
- 8. Period of storage
- 9. Rights of the affected person
- 9.1 Your rights
- 9.2 Regulatory authority
- 10. Right to object under Art. 21 GDPR
- 11. Data security
- 12. Updating ufuwbcquasdwyyctawdw
- 13. Data protection officer
1. Responsibility for Data Protection
The operators and issuers of Miles & More are Miles & More GmbH, Unterschweinstiege 8, 60549 Frankfurt am Main (“MMG”) and Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Linnicher Strasse 48, 50933 Cologne (“Lufthansa”). Unless stated otherwise in this Data Protection Policy, “we” or “us” refers to Lufthansa and MMG as the bodies jointly responsible (“Joint Controller”) for the processing of your personal data within the meaning of section 26 of the General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union (“GDPR”) and the Federal Data Protection Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz - “BDSG”). For this purpose, we have concluded a Joint Controller Agreement. We are happy to make the principle contents of this agreement available on request. Complete information relating to these companies can be found in their respective legal notices at www.miles-and-more.com and www.lufthansa.com.
In this Data Protection Policy, we also make a distinction between the Lufthansa Group, our joint operators and partner companies, so that we can make it more transparent for you which processes are carried out with the assistance of which company, and who has access to your data, to what extent and for what purpose (further details in section 4 of this Data Protection Policy).
2nd Your personal data
2.1 Master data and status data
In order to make a Miles & More membership possible for you, we collect personal data from you in the application form. These data consist in particular of your last name, first name, gender, address and domicile. Furthermore, in certain processes, you must provide additional compulsory information so that we can complete your registration and any subsequent processes, such as sending out a confirmation e-mail. This includes data such as your date of birth, e-mail address or a telephone number. Furthermore, along with your application or in the course of your membership of Miles & More, you can communicate other data to us on a voluntary basis, for example a mobile telephone number, your academic title or flight-related preferences (departure airport, seat, food preferences). To save you additional trouble in entering these data, we extract some information directly from the application form or when processing it. This includes the date of your registration and your preferred language for correspondence. All these data collected about you are called your “master data”.
In order to manage the status assigned by Lufthansa or joint operators (such as Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member), we also store data required to manage this status, such as the type of status or the number of Status or HON Circle miles you have earned (“status data”).
2.2 Miles & More card number
When you open your mileage account, we give you a Miles & More card number. Your Miles & More card number is part of your master data. It is used to identify you clearly as a member.
Your Miles & More card number may change in the course of your membership. There are various triggers for this, such as when you reach a particular status or lose your card. By using a unique identification number in the background, we can continue to arrange for miles to be credited to your account and/or for you to redeem miles. This unique identification number is generated exclusively by the system and is used in any identification processes. If you lose your card, this also allows us to block your card number without you having to re-register.
2.3 Programme data
When you earn or redeem miles as part of Miles & More, we record your so-called “programme data”.
When you earn miles, the programme data include all the information required for mileage credit and the administration, ongoing development and marketing of Miles & More. This includes information about the Miles & More partner companies, with whom you earn miles, as well as information about the services and number of miles earned on which your mileage credit is based.
When you quote your Miles & More card number to an airline company to earn miles, the programme data also include other information, in particular information about the flight route, the flight date, the flight number, the price, the airline operating the flight and the booking class.
When you earn miles with another Miles & More partner company, the programme data include information about the services requested that relate to miles, i.e. in particular the products purchased or services used, such as the price, quantity, goods category, time of purchase, time of execution or place of rental/stay.
When you earn miles with a Miles & More credit card, the programme data include details of the amount spent with the Miles & More credit card. If you have given additional consent to your bank, further data may also be collected. You can find details of this in section 7 of this Data Protection Policy.
When you redeem miles, the program data consist of details of the awards requested as well as the number of miles used (with a flight, the specific type of flight award, the flight route, the flight date and other information relating to the booking and with another award e.g. the type of award and product information such as the price, quantity, goods category, time of purchase, time of execution or place of rental/stay).
By processing these data, we can ensure that the mileage credit is correct, track account movements, in particular for fraud prevention, and can also ensure that detailed information is provided when requested, and that any possible complaints you may make are processed promptly. If you give your consent, the data described above may also be used for advertising purposes (you can find more detailed information about this in section 5 of this Data Protection Policy).
2.4 Other data
When you use our website, app or other communications media, such as e-mail, we also process your data as described in section 3 of the “Miles & More website, & communications media app” Data Protection Policy.
When you communicate with our service centres, we also process the data you have given us in order to deal with your enquiry and to improve our services.
3. Purposes and legal bases of processing
3.1 Contract purpose and pre-contractual measures
We process your personal data, i.e. master, programme and status data, and other data described above in the context of Miles & More, in particular for the performance of contract and for pre-contractual measures pursuant to Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR EU GDPR, in order
- to process your application for membership of Miles & More, to be able to send you your Miles & More card and other contract-relevant information about Miles & More,
- to enable you to earn and redeem miles (also retroactively), in particular to be able to credit the miles earned by you with operators and Miles & More partner companies to your mileage account and be able to debit the miles used when you request an award,
- to enable us to check at all times that when you earn miles, the correct number of miles is credited, and that when you debit the account for an award, the correct number of miles is calculated,
- to be able to send you other contract-relevant information relating to your status when you fulfil the appropriate criteria of your Miles & More Status card,
- to be able to inform you about current extensions or modifications to Miles & More,
- to be able to process your enquiries (by phone, in writing or online).
3.2 Legitimate interests - balancing of interests
We also process your personal data in order to safeguard our legitimate interests and after careful balancing of the interests concerned pursuant to Art. 6 (1) f) GDPR,
- to enforce legal claims, including debt collection and to defend ourselves in the event of legal disputes (company interest in legal defence and law enforcement),
- to keep your data up-to-date. To achieve this, we use an update service, which makes your new contact data available to us in the event of changes to your contact data (company interest in maintaining contact with members),
- in order to be able to inform you by SMS about relevant developments with regard to flights booked using your Miles & More card number details (company interest in customer satisfaction and timely information about flight delays and cancellations),
- in order to observe the preferences saved in your profile (company interest in the best possible service for customers),
- in order to administer, further develop and market Miles & More (company interest in the competitiveness and relevance of the programme),
- in order to simplify the registration procedure for the online stores (WorldShop, SWISS Shop). To achieve this, the registration form will be pre-filled for you after you have entered your Miles & More card number and PIN (company interest in the consistency and validity of data),
- for the purposes of data analysis and the preparation of statistics to improve products and services (company interest in ongoing development of the programme),
- for the purpose of IT security (company interest in the security of its own systems),
- for the purposes of authentication and fraud prevention (company interest in protection from material or immaterial damage).
We also process your data so that we can send you individually compiled offers relating to Miles & More, providing you have given us your separate consent to do so; this way we can send you information that is relevant to you. The legal basis for this processing is Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR (Consent). You can find further details under section 5 of this Data Protection Policy.
3.4 Statutory obligations
We are obliged to observe statutory commercial and tax retention periods. Furthermore, in individual cases, we are also obliged to cooperate with various national and international authorities (tax and law enforcement authorities). The legal basis for this processing is Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR (statutory obligations).
4. Recipients of your data
4.1 Joint operators
The operators of Miles & More can appoint selected partner companies in certain countries which may market Miles & More as their own programme (“joint operator”). Joint operators are
- Adria Airways
- Air Dolomiti
- Austrian Airlines
- Brussels Airlines
- Croatia Airlines
- LOT Polish Airlines
- Swiss International Airlines
We may share data with the joint operators for the administration, ongoing development and marketing of Miles & More as their own programme as described in section 3 in the following cases:
- if you have registered with Miles & More via a joint operator, your master data, Miles & More card number or a unique user name, as well as your program data relating to the joint operator’s services, may be shared with the joint operator.
- If the joint operator is an airline and your residence is located within the home market of this joint operator, we may share your master data, Miles & More card number and program data with the joint operator.
- If the joint operator is an airline and you take flights operated by this joint operator, we may share your master data and program data with the joint operator.
- If you have gained a status with a joint operator, in addition to the master data and the program data related to the services provided by the joint operator, your status data may also be shared with the joint operator.
The joint operators send us the program data set out in section 3 of this Data Protection Policy in order to enable us to credit miles. The legal basis for processing the data in this case is Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (Performance of contract and pre-contractual measures).
4.2 Miles & More partner companies
With Miles & More partner companies, which are not joint operators, your personal data is only transferred if and insofar as you have requested a service via us from a Miles & More partner company (for example, an award) (Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR) or insofar as you have given your consent (for example, in the context of login) (Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR). This also applies to the “Hotels & Cars” platform powered by Points and the “Gift Cards by Cadooz” platform powered by Cadooz. In this context, please note the relevant Data Protection Policy of the partner concerned.
Some of our partners give you the option to authenticate yourself as a Miles & More member on their partner website by entering your Miles & More card number and PIN in order to see special offers for Miles & More members and to spend miles, where applicable. In these instances, the partner sends us the service card number and PIN you have entered for comparison. When the data are correct, we will confirm this. We also automatically send your mileage account balance to partners who are facilitating your mileage spending. This is necessary so that you can see the partner’s offers and redeem your miles. The legal basis for processing the data in this case is Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (Performance of contract and pre-contractual measures).
If you contact us with a programme-related enquiry, for example because you are waiting for a mileage credit after a transaction with a Miles & More partner company, we may forward your enquiry to our partner company for prompt processing. The legal basis for the forwarding of your query in this case is Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (Performance of contract and pre-contractual measures).
Miles & More partner companies forward the programme data listed in section 2.3 of this Data Protection Policy to us in order to allow the allocation of mileage credits.
4.3 Lufthansa Group Airlines
Airlines within the Lufthansa Group (as listed at www.miles-and-more.com/mitherausgeber) have combined their customer loyalty activities. This means that the member’s master data and the status and program data obtained by a Lufthansa Group airline are managed in a joint database for all Lufthansa Group airlines. Without your separate consent, these data may be processed and used in an anonymised form (that is, with no possibility of a particular member being identified) for analysis purposes, and for the management, ongoing development and marketing of Miles & More. If you have given your consent, the data may also be used on a personal basis for marketing purposes (also see section 5 of this Data Protection Policy).
4.4 Other third parties and commissioned processors
In order to be able to offer you our products and services, we use service providers, such as service centres, printers, letter shops and IT service providers, as processors in accordance with Art. 28 GDPR. These service providers have been carefully selected and work exclusively to our instructions. They provide sufficient guarantees to comply with their obligations under data protection law.
We also receive data from other third parties as part of commissioned processing where such third parties have commissioned us to process data. This occurs, for example, in the context of processing customer service enquiries for programme partners.
For the protection of your personal data, appropriate safeguards are provided in the event of such personal data transmissions in accordance with the statutory regulations (in particular EU adequacy decisions and the use of EU standard contractual clauses. You can find information about EU standard contractual clauses on the European Union website).
The legal bases for the transmission of data to processors are listed in section 3 of the legal bases of this Data Protection Policy in conjunction with Art. 26 GDPR.
Moreover, in certain cases we are legally obliged to make personal data available to the German and international authorities; see Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR (statutory obligations).
5.1 Consent to MMG and Lufthansa
We give you the option to give MMG and Lufthansa separate consent for the processing of the following:
- preparation and sending of information about your mileage balance and our Miles & More newsletters (e.g. programme newsletters, WorldShop newsletters),
- combined offers we have put together for you to earn and redeem miles in exchange for services from operators, joint operators and Miles & More partner companies,
- market research surveys/customer satisfaction questionnaires to improve Miles & More and the offers from operators, joint operators and Miles & More partner companies
Consent may include the following communication channels:
- Messenger services
Information and offers, such as the WorldShop catalogue, the Lufthansa Exclusive or Woman’s World, may be sent by post unless you object to receiving such information and offers.
5.2 Consent to joint operators
Moreover, we can give you the option of giving separate consent to individual joint operators for processing the following:
- market research surveys/customer satisfaction questionnaires - your opinion on the respective joint operators (including partner companies, where applicable) and their facilities, offers and services
- information and offers from the respective joint operators and their partner companies, where applicable
- regular information from the respective joint operators and their partner companies, where applicable, about special offers and valuable tips, especially relating to the airline, vehicle manufacturing, financial services, hotels, transport, lifestyle, shopping and telecommunications sectors
- information about services and products from selected airline partners
Consent may include the following communication channels:
- Messenger services
Information and offers may be sent by post unless you object to receiving such information and offers.
You can find further details on consent in the respective Data Protection Policies of our joint operators. For the Lufthansa Group you will find these under
5.3 Granting and use of consent
You can give all the consents referred to above, for example, in your application for membership of Miles & More on our website or any Miles & More communications medium. You can also give those parts of your consent that relate to the joint operators to them via their own communication channels.
If you give us your consent, we can assess your personal data (incl. data reconciliation) in order to provide you with personalised information about the Miles & More programme, which is relevant to you and tailor-made to suit your interests, via all communication channels. For example, we use your place of residence, age, status level and your most recent mileage credits in this way in order to adapt the offers for earning/redeeming miles in the Miles & More newsletter to your needs. If we refer in our consent to “personal data”, we understand this term to mean all the types of data defined in section 2 of this Data Protection Policy.
If you have given your consent to one of the joint operators, the latter may evaluate all the data it has about you in order to send you personalised information that is uniquely relevant and customised to your interests. This includes data from the Miles & More programme shared under section 4 of this Data Protection Policy, as well as the data it collects itself, such as flight data.
You can find further details on the usage of data by our joint operators in their respective Data Protection Policies. For the Lufthansa Group you will find these under
The legal basis for the processing of the data is Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR (Consent).
5.4 Withdrawal of consent and consent not granted
You can edit your communication settings in your customer profile on www.miles-and-more.com at any time, and/or withdraw and/or restrict your consent in full or in part (e.g. by telephone at the Miles & More Service Team). In addition, you can deactivate push notifications on mobile end devices in the respective Miles & More app.
You can also withdraw your consent to the receipt of newsletters and other marketing e-mail communications at any time at the end of any relevant e-mail.
If you do not give your consent, you will not receive information from MMG and Lufthansa Group airlines. You can find information about your mileage balance (including early reminders about mileage expiry) in your customer profile at www.miles-and-more.com.
MMG and Lufthansa can send you legally relevant information about the Miles & More programme (such as changes to the Terms and Conditions of Participation), irrespective of whether you have given or withdrawn your consent. The legal basis for processing the data in this case is Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (Performance of contract and pre-contractual measures).
6. Linking with Lufthansa Group ID profiles
If you also have an ID profile with one of the Lufthansa Group airlines, a link to your Miles & More profile may also be required as part of this. This is used in particular to make you clearly identifiable via the various profiles. The background for this in particular is that we cannot manage your consent to the Lufthansa Group in aggregated form without clear identification and wish to save you having to enter or change your data several times in different profiles. If you do not create a link, we must point out that unfortunately we are unable to carry over the settings activated in the individual profiles into the other profiles (in particular about your consents).
The legal basis is Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR (Consent). You can find further details about linking here.
7. Miles & More credit card
When you apply for a Miles & More credit card, additional personal data are collected by the issuing bank (for example, your profession, marital status and income). These supplementary data are processed and used exclusively by the issuing bank and are not shared with the operators or joint operators. We only receive the programme data arising from the use of the Miles & More credit card, as well as your Miles & More card number, and other master data that is required for the allocation of the programme data to you as a member, in order to make earning miles possible for you. The legal basis for processing the data in this case is Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR (Performance of contract and pre-contractual measures). If you have given further consent to the issuing bank, the issuing bank may also share additional personal data with us, such as the time and place the card was used and a description of the sales, which we will use for the purposes stated in this Data Protection Policy. The legal basis for sharing this data is Art. 6 (1) a) GDPR (Consent).
8. Period of storage
We process your data as long as it is required to fulfil our contractual and statutory obligations. It must be noted here that membership of the Miles & More programme is for an indefinite period and is set up for several years until cancellation or the ending of the programme.
If the purpose for which your data were processed no longer applies, such data are deleted, unless the retention thereof is required for the following purposes:
- to fulfil retention periods under commercial and tax law that derive from the Commercial Code or the Tax Code; these periods can be up to 10 years
- to retain evidence as part of the provisions on limitation periods. Under §§ 195 ff. of the Civil Code (Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch - BGB), these limitation periods can be up to 30 years, whereas the standard limitation period is three years.
In these cases, your data are blocked so that they cannot be processed for other purposes.
9. Rights of the affected person
9.1 Your rights
As an affected person you can exercise the following rights where the respective statutory conditions exist:
- Right to information, Art. 15 of the GDPR
- Right to correction, Art. 16 of the GDPR
- Right to deletion (“Right to be forgotten”), Art. 17 of the GDPR
- Right to limit processing, Art. 18 of the GDPR
- Right to data transmissibility, Art. 20 of the GDPR
- Right to object, Art. 21 of the GDPR
You may use our contact form to exercise your right. So that we can process your application and identify you, please note that we will use your personal data in accordance with Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR.
In your customer profile on our website, you can also check the current status of most of your master data yourself at any time. Please update your personal data immediately after any changes occur (for example, your postal address, e-mail address or telephone number).
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, Art. 77 GDPR in conjunction with § 19 BDSG (Federal Data Protection Act).
9.2 Regulatory authority
The competent supervisory authority for MMG is:
The Data Protection Commissioner of Hesse
Fax: 0611/1408-900 or -901
The competent supervisory authority for Lufthansa is:
The Data Protection Commissioner of Hesse
Fax: 0611/1408-900 or -901
10. Right to object under Art. 21 GDPR
For reasons arising from your specific situation, you have the right to submit an objection to the processing of your personal data based on Art. 6 (1) e) or f) GDPR at any time.
We will no longer process the personal data that concern you, unless we can prove that there are compelling reasons for the processing that are worthy of protection and that outweigh your interests, rights and freedoms, or if the processing is used to enforce, exercise or defend legal claims.
If the personal data concerning you are processed to operate direct advertising, you have the right to submit an objection against the processing of your personal data for the purposes of such advertising at any time.
If you object to processing for the purposes of direct advertising, the personal data concerning you will no longer be processed for these purposes.
You have the option of exercising your right of objection in connection with the use of the services of the information company using an automated procedure - notwithstanding Directive 2002/58/EC - in which technical specifications are used.
You can object to the processing of your personal data at any time, for example by using our contact form as described in section 9 of the Data Protection Policy.
11. Data security
We use technical and organisational security measures to protect your data that we process against accidental or deliberate manipulation, loss, deletion or access by unauthorised persons. Our security measures are being improved continuously as new technology develops.
We store your personal data on servers in Germany, in a European Union member state or in states which are party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area.
We check these data protection policies regularly and we will update these as necessary. Where there are significant changes made to these data protection policies, we will inform you (for example, on our website or in our app).
13. Data protection officer
The Lufthansa Group data protection officer is also the data protection officer for Miles & More GmbH. If you have any questions about data protection at Miles & More, please contact Dr Barbara Kirchberg-Lennartz (e.g. by post: Group Data Protection Officer, FRA CY, 60546 Frankfurt/Main or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org).